Aboriginal eMentoring aims to evaluate its effectiveness in supporting Aboriginal high school graduation and transition into post-secondary health science programs. Our findings will help us improve the program and provide valuable guidance to other initiatives that involve eMentoring and/or Aboriginal youth. eMentoring is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and has also received funding from the Technology Enabled Knowledge Translation Investigative Centre.
The eMentoring research proposal was reviewed by the CIHR Institute of Aboriginal People’s Health and approved by the UBC Behavioural Research Ethics Board (BREB). Researchers follow OCAP principles and the CIHR Guidelines for Health Research Involving Aboriginal People. The confidentiality of mentee, mentor, and guardian information is protected.
Academic Research Team
Dr. Sandra Jarvis-Selinger, Assistant Dean, Faculty Development and Director of Curriculum, MD Undergraduate Education and Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, UBC Faculty of Medicine
Dr. Kendall Ho, Associate Professor, UBC Department of Emergency Medicine, VCHRI, and Director, UBC eHealth Strategy Office
Dr. Helen Novak Lauscher, Assistant Director, UBC eHealth Strategy Office
Dr. Lee Brown, Former Director, UBC Institute for Aboriginal Health
Mr. James Andrew, Aboriginal Students Initiative Coordinator, UBC Faculty of Medicine
Dr. Robert Woollard, Professor, UBC Department of Family Practice
Dr. Lesley Bainbridge, Assistant Professor and Associate Principal Interprofessional Development, UBC College of Health Disciplines
Dr. Timothy Michel, Faculty of Education, SFU (Formerly at UBC Faculty of Science)
Dr. Michal Fedeles, Education Consultant (Formerly at UBC Faculty of Medicine)
Conferences and Presentations
Aboriginal eMentoring BC has presented at a number of conferences over the last several years. These include:
- World Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education (WiPC:E). May 19-24, 2014. “Aboriginal eMentoring BC: Online Mentoring for Our Indigenous Youth Today.” Presented by Nahannee Schuitemaker, Lisa Ritland and Katherine Wisener.
- British Columbia School Superintendents Association (BCSSA) Fall Conference – Transforming, Reforming and Innovating: Leading and Learning Together. “Aboriginal eMentoring BC.” November 13-14, 2013. Presented by Dr. Sandra Jarvis-Selinger and Jackie Lever. Available Online.
- Summit of Technology, Research, Opportunities, Networks, and Growth (STRONG). May 6-8, 2013. ‘Aboriginal eMentoring BC: Making Connections to Future Careers for Aboriginal Youth’. Presented by Nahannee Schuitemaker and Katherine Wisener.
- Canadian Conference on Medical Education. April 20-23, 2013. “eHealth Mentoring: Building pathways to Health Careers for Aboriginal youth.” Presented by Katherine Wisener.
- eHealth Conference. May 28, 2012. “Aboriginal eMentoring BC.” Presented by Dr. Sandra Jarvis-Selinger and Dr. Lee Brown. Available Online.
- Information & Communication Technologies Summit. February 23-25, 2012. “Aboriginal eMentoring BC.” Presented by Nahannee Schuitemaker, Diane Anthony, Chris Alexander, and Katherine Wisener.